The Office Furniture Industry Voice for Workplace Solutions
BIFMA is the not‐for-profit trade association for business and institutional furniture manufacturers. Since 1973, BIFMA has been the voice of the commercial furniture industry.
Our industry’s service to our customers – providing healthy, comfortable, and productive workspaces – rests on an infrastructure of engineering and materials standards. These standards, founded on centuries of craft and enhanced by ever-advancing science, embody the best of our knowledge on safety, ergonomics, and sustainability.
BIFMA sponsors the development and refining of standards, educates on their importance and application, and translates their necessary complexity into more easily understood and implemented formats. We promote sustainability throughout the life cycle of commercial furniture. We offer statistical and educational resources to our members and the public and reach out to regulators, consumers, and international partners to foster value and innovation.
BIFMA's fiscal 2016 annual association accomplishments.
- BIFMA develops, maintains, and publishes safety and performance standards for furniture products.
- We participate in the creation of international furniture product standards.
- We monitor and influence the application of national codes.
- We educate customers on the significance of the standards and codes.
- Receive a complimentary copy of all new standards and publications immediately upon release and get discounts on additional copies.
- Secure access to the ANSI/BIFMA e3 Furniture Sustainability Standard implementation "Tools” package.
- Gain early insight into standards under development.
- level® is the multi-attribute, sustainability standard and third-party certification program for the furniture industry.
- It was created to deliver the most open and transparent means of evaluating and communicating the environmental and social impacts of furniture products in the built environment.
- Taking into account a company’s social actions, energy usage, material selection and human and ecosystem health impacts, level® addresses how a product is sustainable from multiple perspectives. (more)
- Receive updates on negotiations with USGBC.
- Gain access through our password-protected web site to confidential industry data on growth rates, order trends, and geographic shipments.
- Get regularly updated industry forecasts.
- Receive estimates of business potential in U.S. Metropolitan Statistical Areas (MSAs).
- Continue your education through seminars, workshops, and conferences on important industry topics.
- We provide industry perspective on issues and regulations affecting the workplace.
- We educate regulatory agencies and legislative bodies about member concerns.
- We develop safety and performance standards that make government regulation of our industry unnecessary.
- We cooperate with related trade groups such as CPA, AHFA, and KCMA, to promote shared concerns.
- We interact with customer groups (IIDA, ASID, IFMA, etc.) and educate them on the importance of standards compliance.
- We confer with and send delegations to international trade groups such as ISO and FEMB.
- We host an annual Leadership Conference for senior level management in the office furniture industry.
- Shape the domestic and international performance and safety standards that help manufacturers, specifiers, and users evaluate products.
- Amplify your voice by joining with BIFMA to lobby on issues facing the industry, such as EPA and OSHA regulations and prison industries reform.
- Talk with your associates in a collaborative, constructive environment about issues, concerns, opportunities. BIFMA staff attend all meetings to ensure focus on industry issues. Expand your networks and gain numerous opportunities for personal and professional growth through interaction with manufacturers, suppliers, independent sales reps, and BIFMA’s professional, full-time staff.