Statistical product category definitions can be reviewed below. To view the detailed product category list and product images, click here.
Work Chairs - Chairs that swivel and may also have other adjustment capabilities; used in individual offices, meeting areas, and adjacent environments.
- Executive Work Chairs: Typically used at a desk in a private office or at a table in a conference or boardroom. Limited control features and often styled with padded arms and high backs or headrests.
- High-Performing Work Chairs/Stools: Typically used at a desk, table, or work surface. Highly adjustable with arms and multiple control features including seat height, recline, and adjustable arms that support longer-term sitting.
- Other/Miscellaneous Work Chairs: Typically used in settings that support collaboration or shared desking. Somewhat adjustable with arms and limited control features including seat height that support moderate-term sitting.
Other Chairs/Seating/Stools – All other chair or seating products (other than work chairs and lounge seating) that are used in office environments, lobbies, cafes, and conference or presentation spaces.
- Fixed-Height Non-Swivel Stools: Stools, with or without a back, with arms and legs that have no adjustment features.
- Side/Multi-Use Chairs: Four-leg and sled-base chairs for multiple users. Typically used in private offices and opens plan for secondary short-term sitting. No seat-height adjustment or control features.
- Stacking/Nesting: Typically used in common or public assembly areas for shorter-term sitting. With or without arms. May have 6+ stacking capability.
- Other/Miscellaneous Chairs/Seating/Stools: Any other chair, seating, or stool product not fitting into an identified category.
Lounge Seating - Chairs and other seating products, for use at lower than standard seated desk height, that are typically used in lounges, team spaces, reception and common areas, and special-purpose settings.
- Lounge Seating: Typically used in lounge or reception settings. Includes sofas, lounge chairs, chaises, ottomans, benches, and modular seating.
Filing/Storage – Products not integral to a system that store work-related or personal items either within or adjacent to individual work areas; includes group as well as personal storage.
- Bookcases/Open Storage: Products designed with shelves to hold books or other items. May include doors. Usually not lockable.
- Fixed/Freestanding/Mobile Pedestals: Pedestal files, unattached to any system component, in various drawer/file combinations. Mobile units have casters.
- Lateral Filing: Lateral filing storage units.
- Storage Cabinets/Wardrobes/Lockers: Includes storage cases that sit on top of storage cabinets.
- Towers: Vertical units for the storage of personal and other items.
- Vertical Filing: Vertically oriented storage units with narrower drawers than lateral files.
- Other/Miscellaneous Filing: Miscellaneous items to support vertical or lateral files, e.g., rails, dividers, cushion tops, hardware. Other filing products to house various sizes of documents, e.g., maps, blueprints, oversize documents.
- Other/Miscellaneous Storage: Includes overhead bins, display shelves, media storage devices, and other storage products.
Work Tables – Tables used in work and social settings to accommodate the needs of groups, individuals, presenters, and learners.
- Conference Tables: Designed to accommodate multiple occupants in settings where group discussions take place, including conference and boardrooms. Typically stationary and non-adjustable in rectangular, oval, or round shapes.
- Occasional Tables: Tables used in work, lounge, dining, public, and outdoor settings. Includes end, side, coffee, occasional, dining, and café tables in reception, lounge, break, and cafeteria areas; small standing-height and touch-down tables in work or social spaces; and accent tables in private offices and reception, conference room, or lounge areas.
- Training Tables: Designed for use in settings where groups of people gather for learning and training sessions. Surface is fixed or hinged for expansion or storage. Casters are often included for easy movement. Often includes power and data ports.
- Other/Miscellaneous Work Tables: Any other table product not fitting into an identified category.
Workspaces – Freestanding Desks – Fixed or Height-Adjustable desks designed for individual use.
- Freestanding Desks: Fixed or Height-Adjustable desks designed for individual use.
- Height-Adjustable Desks: Height-Adjustable desks that allow the user to alternate between sitting and standing positions. May be part of a freestanding furniture system.
- Other/Miscellaneous Freestanding Desks: Assorted ancillary components, including service parts that are part of a freestanding desk or system.
Workspaces – Casegood Systems – Desks and groupings of products typically used in single and shared-occupant offices that have no distributed power and at least one wall.
- Casegood Systems: Designed to provide a set of complementary components that are integrated functionally and aesthetically, often in what is referred to as a private office. (Note: Components–work surfaces, bridges, returns, storage elements, mobile elements, credenzas – should be reported as part of Casegood Systems).
- Storage- Spine-Based Systems: A casegood system that utilizes storage components to delineate space. Worksurface extends from the storage wall and is dependent on the storage wall.
- Other/Miscellaneous Workspaces – Casegood Systems: Assorted ancillary components, including service parts that are part of a casegoods system.
Workspaces – Panel-Based System – Systems furniture whose foundational panels or frames can support surfaces and other components and can be configured to form workstations and delineate space.
- Panels and Panel-Based Systems: Systems furniture that uses interconnecting vertical monolithic panels or frames with attaching skins to divide space, form workstations, support worksurfaces and other components, and route power and data cables. Panels and frames may also be used with freestanding products.
- Other/Miscellaneous Panel Based Systems: Assorted ancillary components, including service parts that are part of a panel-based system.
Workspaces – Non-Panel Based Systems – Systems and freestanding products that typically furnish open-environment settings.
- Benching Systems: Open-plan systems that encourage collaboration by situating people in close proximity at open, bench-like worksurfaces; may include storage, visual-privacy, and media-display options. Includes height-adjustable variations.
- Desking Systems: Sometimes referred to as desking systems table/desk-based systems are not dependent on panels or frames to support work surfaces and other components. Tables/desks are the foundational building block, other companion products such as storage units may extend from the tables/desks, horizontally, above or below, but they are all anchored from the desk/tables. May include desk-mounted privacy screens or stanchions that support overhead storage or shelving. Add-ons like towers can be part of the desking system offerings that stands side by side or butt against the desking system and are aesthetically tied together. A desking system is used to build a cluster of four (4) or more workstations that are inter-connected. When a desking system is used with panels, panels are NOT part of the desking system offerings.
- Other/Miscellaneous Workspace – Non-Panel Based Systems: Assorted ancillary components, including service parts that are part of a non-panel based system.
Workspace Accessories – Assorted other products that support presentations, computer use, technology, lighting, privacy and other needs.
- Boards/Easels: Includes whiteboards, dry-erase boards, tack boards, cork boards, display easels, tabletop easels, and flip-chart holders.
- Computer Accessories: Includes elevated computer stands, screen filters, keyboard trays, mouse pads, monitor arms, CPU holders, docking stations, and other accessories that support computer use.
- Power & Data Accessories: Includes voice/data outlets, electrical distributors, and cable management products.
- Lighting: Includes ambient and personal task-lighting products that are part of a system offering and also those that are not systems specific.
- Privacy/Boundary Screens: Freestanding, movable screens that define space and provide visual and / or acoustic privacy; not part of a systems offering.
- Other/Miscellaneous Workspace Accessories: Includes other products that support individual or group needs, such as reading stands, desk organizers, coat racks/hooks, signage.
Specialty (non-office) Products – Various seating and other products for healthcare, educational, entertainment, public and outdoor environments. Also includes collaboration technology products, interior architecture products and raised flooring products.
- Healthcare-Specific Products – Seating: Seating designed specifically for healthcare settings.
- Healthcare-Specific Products – Non-Seating: Other products designed specifically for healthcare settings.
- Education-Specific Products – Seating: Specially configured or customized to accommodate students in education settings. Includes chairs with tablet arms, tripod bases, and swivels.
- Education-Specific Products – Non-Seating: Includes study carrells (partially enclosed spaces with a table or work surface), ergonomically designed student desks, and other tables designed for education settings.
- Fixed Seating: Typically used in auditoriums, concert halls, stadiums, and entertainment venues. Multiple adjoined seating units, attached to the floor. With or without arms.
- Outdoor Seating: Typically used on patios or other outside areas. With or without backs and padding. Weather-resistant.
- Outdoor Tables: Designed for use on patios or other outside areas. Usually weather-resistant. May include casters or glides.
- Public Seating: Typically used in airports, bus/train terminals, courthouses, and other places where people gather and often wait. With or without arms or ganging capability.
- Demountable Walls: Space-delineating walls that extend from floor to architectural ceiling. Includes demountable walls, unitized movable walls, and movable frames and skins.
- Other/Miscellaneous Specialty (non-office) Products: Other specialty products that may be singular or unique in look, function, or market. Includes collaboration technology products and interior architecture products.